Sunday, April 29, 2012

Triangle of Empty Space

From the architectural drawing I have noticed a triangle area of walled off empty space in the master bedroom area where they cut the corner at a 45 degree angle.  While it is aesthetically appealing it seems seems to touch a small nerve on my efficiency side.  Seeing Stuart's bonus room optional closet picture reminded me of this.  Looks good by the way Stuart :-)

http://stuartsinger.blogspot.com/2012/04/first-look-inside-today.html?showComment=1335758893329#c5510729100110809613

The Ravenna has this triangle in the master bedroom next to the restroom.  Here is the diagram:
http://www.nvrinc.com/modelimages/16850.pdf

My thought here is that some shelves could be put up to be used in either the bathroom or in the master bedroom.  The following links are good examples:
http://www.bhg.com/bathroom/storage/storage-solutions/bathroom-storage-ideas/#page=14
http://www.bhg.com/bathroom/storage/storage-solutions/bathroom-storage-ideas/#page=5

Otherwise I guess a medicine cabinet could be installed to utilize some of that space.  I did not see where they installed on in the model.  Here is a link to Amazon's recessed mounted cabinets:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_in_-2_p_n_feature_keywords_10?rh=n%3A1055398%2Cn%3A!1063498%2Cn%3A1063236%2Cn%3A1063238%2Cn%3A3743901%2Cp_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin%3A4275234011&bbn=3743901&ie=UTF8&qid=1335764966&rnid=4275164011

It is something trivial in the grand scheme, but I will think about what to do with that space in the future.  I am interested to hear if anyone else has done something with this space or if it is just one of my idiosyncrasies.

11 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The house I live in now has Timberlake cabinets. I added the matching Timberlake medicine cabinets in my bathrooms. They are not recessed, but they are available recessed. I plan on doing that in the new house. I have a couple of names I got from Timberlake and the quote was around $230 for one medicine cabinet. If anybody wants the email me at stuartnc @gmail.
    While the Verona is 700 square feet bigger than my current home, it is not nearly as closet friendly. My existing bonus room had a massive closet so choosing that option on the new house seemed like a no-brainer but the room does noticeably shrink due to how it protrudes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info, I will keep it in mind. I was kind of thinking of one with a mirror to give the illusion of more space, but I like the cabinet idea too.

      Delete
  3. I love the idea of making use of otherwise wasted space. My handy husband has been investigating built-in options for all over the house. I'm partial to this:
    http://www.houselogic.com/photos/home-improvement/under-stairs-storage-solutions-pictures/slide/visual-treat-for-a-small-home/#a-toast-to-smart-storage-solutions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy Smokes... that is a lot of wine under that staircase! If the apocalypse ever comes just head under the stairs with all the wine!

      Delete
    2. You can never be too prepared ;)

      Delete
  4. You could always cut into the drywall from the bedroom side and make it a little knick-knack nook or from the bathroom side and make shelves to store bathroom items.

    Just found this picture. I'm not real familiar with the Raveena, but it looks like you may not be able to cut into that space - this shows the switches are in that space.
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-WX4ogLWh38Q/T1aA5Z_rB3I/AAAAAAAAAb0/c5uBUanDgnc/s1600/IMG_1236.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are switches in the bathroom next to the door, an outlet on the other leg of the triangle, and one on the hypotenuse (sounds bad, but I had to use it o.0 ). I think that I can get one in on the inside wall, but will definitely need to take careful pictures.

      Delete
  5. I will have to take a gander when I get home. I believe Gina is right and there are some switches on that part of the wall. I remarked when moving in that I would have like to have all the switches closer to the door.
    Either way, a small built in insert trimmed out would be a nice touch and make a nice niche for vased flowers or a handy shot gun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laughed when I saw this one. I have an image of a lazy susan with a shotgun in it and Sgt. Rich at the ready. Though I think the optimal place is under the tank of the throne.

      Delete
  6. You know... vased flowers or a shot gun. Because those two things are usually the choices when there are two.

    ReplyDelete