Friday, May 4, 2012

Cover yourself with a blanket!

Time to get even more efficient!  Those who have a tankless water heater can just look a way at this point.

Covering the water heater with a thermal blanket should be pretty easy so it is another item on my list.  Granted I believe that the water tank that we will be getting will have a reasonable R value on it already (I hope) but a little more wouldn't hurt right?

Here is the one from Lowe's I am looking at.  Interesting enough it says R-10 on product page but on the package it says R-11 (oops web marketing folks):


http://www.lowes.com/pd_24399-1410-SP57/11C_0__?productId=3133229&Ntt=heater+blanket&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dheater%2Bblanket&facetInfo=



Info from the gov on water heater blankets:

http://www.energysavers.gov/your_home/water_heating/index.cfm/mytopic=13070

Another link about heat traps for your water heater.  Honestly I did not think about this before and I will be asking the PM/SR about it:
http://www.energysavers.gov/your_home/water_heating/index.cfm/mytopic=13100

6 comments:

  1. I have not given much thought to wrapping the water heater but I have considered wrapping all the hot water pipes (or the ones I can get to anyway).
    Another important and often overlooked tip is to drain 1 gallon of water from the tank every month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting schooled again it seems from you =)

      I saw your reply here and read up on it a little more. I did not realize that the tank needs to be drained periodically **hangs head in shame**

      So for those who did not know, like me, draining water from the bottom of the tank removes sediment so that the heater can work more efficiently.

      Delete
  2. Where do you come up with this stuff? You are making my project and to-do lists way too long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha yeah, the list is getting large indeed! When they actually break ground then I can be more focused on that instead of thinking about what to do afterwards... maybe

      Delete
  3. Amazing! My list is growing too and the SR keeps telling me to relax! Not happening!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learn something new every day. Usually from you guys. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete