Friday, May 25, 2012

From the vapor it rises

Progress in the form of the vapor barrier today.  I spoke with the plumber who was supposedly going to come out and inspect the pipes today to confirm that this was still the plan.  I did not hear back from either the plumber or PM so not sure what the status of that is.  Emailed PM to see if they made contact today, so we shall see.



The front picture

Garage filled in with the vapor barrier over top

Basement with the vapor barrier





Not a Red Bull but likely something caffeinated that was left in the ditch.  It looks like I am drinking one from the looks of the shadow!

Basement from the other side


Southeast looking Northwest


Northeast looking Southwest


I want this kind of CAT.


The family and I went to Target and I geeked out for a while looking at the electrical fun.  If you adverse to this please feel free to end further reading progress and proceed to roll eyes  :-)

This has a light sensor and will turn off after a random period of time if you would like too (will stay on for at least 2 hours).

Really GE?  You cost more and there is no random fun?  Pffff....

Could do a motion sensor in the actual light switch but this is a nice alternative if you wanted to have a specific fixture or area motion controlled.

10 comments:

  1. Lights are a frustration for me. I plan to use ceiling fans in every room, but now they are all candelabra base bulbs. I discovered a converter for candelabra to medium base bulbs on 1000bulbs.com, but that may cause bulbs to stick out too far. They also now make instant-on CFLs with candelabra base. It may take some experimentation but there is no way these candelabra bulbs will light a bedroom adequately. Of course the guys in Lowes will say 60 watts is 60 watts, but watts isn't light, but light is measured in lumens. Standard bulbs are 800 lumens but these candelabra ones are maybe 300.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not believe that you would need to get an extra converter for the candelabra base. They do make them with that base but they are hard to find in the stores.

      Here is a candelabra base CFL that is 800 lumens (used Google shopping with "candelabra cfl" to find this):
      http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM6097173901P?sid=IDx20070921x00003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=SPM6097173901

      Delete
    2. The problem is that one is not instant-on. Lowes sells instant-on Candelabra, but I've read even those have a 1 second delay that sounds trivial but is noticeable. Apparently they even put governors in these fans now to prevent you from attempting to beat the system with too much wattage. I've already bought 7 Hunter fans yesterdays at Lowes. Hunter is 20% off for memorial weekened, plus combined a 10% Lowes Moving coupon.

      Delete
    3. Sample converter
      http://www.1000bulbs.com/product/5836/SOCK-92405.html.

      Delete
    4. I found instructions on removing the wattage Governor from the Hunter fans. I'm not looking to exceed the wattage but I see many posts that the governors are prone to flickering issues and don't behave well with some CFLs.

      http://www.fixya.com/support/t9176723-blinking_light

      Delete
  2. I wonder if I can use those motion sensors on my coach lights...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The motion sensor I posted is likely too large for the coach lights and it is rated for indoor use only.

      There are some other options out there like this one that you could look at:

      http://www.amazon.com/Cooper-Lighting-MSRU180W-Security-Adapter/dp/B003GXG3D6/ref=pd_sim_hi_4

      This one in particular does not require extra batteries like some do. The cord would have to be routed out of the fixture some how though which could be a deal breaker.

      Delete
    2. Also here is an interesting wireless one that could possibly work:

      http://www.amazon.com/Heath-Zenith-SL-6026-WH-A-Wireless-Activated/dp/B001B5K49U

      Delete
  3. I just learned more about lights than I will ever need to know, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you want to learn more! :-)

      Delete