Sunday, May 13, 2012

Patio Door Weak Point

I wrote about the front door being reinforced earlier, but I have been thinking about one of the other areas of weakness, the patio door.  At the very least I believe a patio door security bar should be put in place to keep the door from sliding that is similar to the product here.  There are cheaper ones but I like the way that this one stays in place and you just have to push it down to lock it.

http://lockking.org/

I was also looking at a gate that goes over top of the door, but I am not sold yet on the ease of use, actual deterrence factor, and general aesthetics of it. 


http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=202327097&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&MERCH=REC-_-product-2-_-202327088-_-202327097-_-N

Steve and Ericka mentioned this door lock in the previous post as well:
http://www.armorconcepts.com/Armor-Latch

For the short term after the house is built I plan on installing glass break sensors to monitor intrusions along with the door bar as added layers of security .

Here are some videos to watch on the subject:




4 comments:

  1. Wow, thanks, Thomas! The link you posted includes security bars for sliders with pet door panels in them. We were using a cut piece of wood to secure ours and it is a PITA to pull out and put in every time a human wants to go out the back door!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, I thought it was pretty cool and a little better than even the swing bars that you see.

      Delete
  2. I think I would have to get both your find and mine to make a real difference. If someone wants in, they will get in...now onto the egress window, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, like any security it only adds layers to create a deterrence and allows time for the owners. Your right the egress was what I was going to look at next ;-)

      Delete