Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Crack showing up

Right we are waiting for the lumber to arrive at the site so that they can start framing.  There are at least 3 houses that they are framing at about the same time including our neighbor to the right.  The neighbor's lumber, windows, and front door have been out there since last week.

I can see more clearly today that I have a hairline crack in my basement slab that runs nearly the full length side to side.  It also looks like others noticed it too judging by the footprints around it.  It is not horrible but not something I like to see right way.  Possibly more control joints could have been added to help with that.  This forum post did make me feel a little better, but I would like to try putting some water over the crack to make sure it is just superficial as the poster did:

http://www.nachi.org/forum/f23/crack-new-basement-floor-32958/


In my browsing around and doing some research I found a whole wealth of inspection articles from Natchi.org too:

http://www.nachi.org/articles.htm

 Examples:

  1. Detailed information on proper deck building
    http://www.nachi.org/deck-inspections.htm
  2. Life span of just about everything in the home
    http://www.nachi.org/life-expectancy.htm

It is worth a look I think if you have time.  Just all kinds of stuff in there!

**Update on crack 06/08/12**

12 comments:

  1. As always, you are a wealth of knowledge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto. Thanks for all the resources!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The basement slab is "floating" and likely to crack over time. Obviously it's new and you don't want to see it this soon. BUT, it may be nothing more then that...a hairline crack.
    Good luck, I have no doubt you will be on top of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the kind comments! Glad others see some use in the info too and not just myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. just spent some time perusing the nachi website. great stuff.
    I can tell you from the deck link that my new deck, built by ryan, could be "reinforced" in a couple areas.
    good stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the deck one was an interesting read considering that a lot of people do not think about how heavy a hot tub really is, especially with all the water in it.

      Delete
  6. Trust me... I feel your pain on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have freaked out! Our basement floor is scheduled to be poured tomorrow. Now I am scared!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thomas,
    Have you or anyone following you on here experienced cracks in the basement concrete walls? We have 2 very large ones and one that runs the length of one side wall. Appears to be more top surface but still....quite concerning. If anyone has any information on this - please contact me at jkendall333@gmail.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may be nothing and is okay, but I have to say that I would have them seriously look at it if it is a horizontal run (which is what it sounds like). I have read that horizontal cracks in walls are more serious than others, especially if it is 1/4 inch or greater.

      Info about horizontal cracks in walls.
      http://www.concreteconstruction.net/foundation/cracking-in-foundation-walls.aspx

      Again, I am not an expert on this by any means, but I would have a professional review it carefully. I will say that my PM has been good about things and I trust him, so I think if you bring up the concern openly with your PM then they should help ease your mind. If they don't calm your fears then I would get an inspector to verify.

      Delete