Saturday, June 9, 2012

Have you thought about fire safety in a while?

One of the things that we may not immediately think about after building a house is fire safety.  Personally I am taking the opportunity to review where I plan on placing my fire extinguishers throughout the house.  Just like insurance it is an expense that you may never need, but is literally a life saver if you ever need it.

**Update 06/10/12**
I have been reading more through the reviews on Amazon for the extinguishers below and from what I have read there were several people to received discharged extinguishers when they were shipped.  I would advise people to go to a local hardware or department store to purchase these in case you need return one if it is defective.  For these extinguishers Amazon does not accept returns and so I am going the local store route myself.

The general all purpose extinguisher is something that everyone should have at least one of:
http://www.amazon.com/Kidde-FA110-Purpose-Extinguisher-1A10BC/dp/B00002ND64/ref=pd_bxgy_hg_text_b


A kitchen extinguisher for tough grease or oil fires is recommended where the general extinguisher might have problems:
http://www.amazon.com/Kidde-FX10K-Kitchen-Fire-Extinguisher/dp/B000IHUR58/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_b

Don't assume that the stairwell will be free from fire.  Have another escape route by buying one of these inexpensive ladders:
http://www.amazon.com/Kidde-Two-Story-Escape-Anti-Slip-13-Foot/dp/B00005OU7B/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_c

7 comments:

  1. WOW, Thomas! You are on it! Thank you so much for sharing your research and thoughtful ideas with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I hope my ramblings have some use for others. It helps me think though things that should be done and document them.

      Delete
  2. We had already planned on getting fire extinguishers for the house. I didn't know there were ones specifically designed for the kitchen! Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the ones for the kitchen are non-toxic as well, easier to clean up, and can be used around electronics. This way you can use it without fear of hurting anything when a bad flareup occurs.

      Delete
  3. P.S.
    I put an update in the main post to get the extinguishers from a local store so you can return them if you need to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome reminder to plan for this stuff. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No prob, it is a reminder for me as well!

      Delete