Sunday, June 10, 2012

You want to mount that where?!

For the regular visitors they probably already know that I did get anything extra with Guardian who is the audio/video/data/security installer that partnered with Ryan Homes in our area.  For those that don't know that, yeah I'm a crazy guy going to try to do the wiring on my own (Guardian Meeting).  Some may still be wondering how is that dude (me) going to hang a TV on the wall and still have it look good?  Well that is a good question...

Running the audio/video/data lines seems relatively easy compared to the nasty one that people usually overlook, the electrical power connection.  One cannot just run a plain old power cable in the wall because this is in violation of fire codes.  That power cable can cause a fire putting everything you hold dear in serious peril.  Now if you are like me that gives me pause to think about all the wires that are just laying around outside the walls waiting to inflict doom ** looks down at the power brick at his feet with all those cables ** HMM...

Having Ryan put in an extra outlet where you want to have a TV mounted makes sense, that is if you know for certain where you want that TV.  Well, I would like to be in the place for a while and get the feel of it before I make a solid commitment like that.  Not that it would be a huge commitment though since something could be hung over the outlet if it was decided not to put the TV in that spot.  But there are so many walls to choose from!

That is where this PowerBridge solution comes in nicely, and really this is good for anyone since someone could just up and say, "Hey, I want a TV mounted in my [X] room".  The PowerBridge uses a ROMEX electrical wire connection between the two wall plates which is fire code compliant and it also allows you to feed your low voltage wires through additional ports on the plates. 


http://www.amazon.com/PowerBridge-TSPBIW-6-WH-Total-Solution-Management/dp/B003CJTQ3I/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1339315582&sr=1-1



The thing that is also selling me on the PowerBridge is that you can use a surge protector to protect your TV.  There are whole home surge protectors that can be installed in the electrical box,but they may not catch everything (I am planning on getting one anyway).  I like the idea of having a separate surge protector near you expensive equipment.

The reality though is that I will likely be doing this during the winter after things are settled down and the colder weather sets in.  I am fine with the TV sitting on the TV stand for now since there will be so many other things to take care of after move in.

At the very least it is just another fun electrical/technology thing I found out there :-)

6 comments:

  1. Now this is my type of post!! Thanks, I'm definitely gonna check this out, I wasn't planning on hanging any tv's on the wall until after the house settled anyway. so it gives me alot of time to research and plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. I am all about the planning/research!

      Delete
  2. Awesome! We had Ryan install an outlet because we know where we want our TV. We also asked them to put a pieces of pvc pipe through the walls to the cable outlet area so we can fish future cable and stereo/video lines through the wall easily. We didn't want to give Guardian any money...can you tell? This post is interesting. I will have to check it out! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my. Please excuse my grammatical typos...wow. I just try to type too fast so I can get to other things....ha ha..like the exercise I need after sitting for so long checking out blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PFFF.... your fine. Hey, at least your replying and giving input about my blog post! That is what I care about!

      Delete
  4. that is good stuff.
    We hung the TV on the wall in the last house, but I have no plans to do it again. BUT if I do, this will be a good find.

    ReplyDelete