Sunday, July 8, 2012

Blocked up

I have had a hiatus from the blog partially due to unexpected events concerning power from the storm that hit Friday June 29th and then also trying to take a short vacation.  The weekend before last totally sucked with partial power being lost at our facility where our servers are housed.  There was some interesting jerry-rigging to keep the core systems afloat and required extended hours.  I never lost power at the house, but getting home I had no will to blog unfortunately.

All is back up and running now but this is what I wanted to send out as I am sure all the other even less fortunate souls who were without power for much longer (ours came up fully Monday night/Tuesday morning) wanted to as well:

Dear Power Utility Company,
       Three words for you.... FIX... IT... FIX-IT!!!

Well enough of that complain/excuse fest.  I mean, I did at least get to go away and relax (a little bit).

Tomorrow is the pre-drywall walk through and I will have some more pictures then but Here are a few pictures of the awesome PM getting some blocking up for me to mount monitors, TVs, trophy rhino heads, etc on the walls.  I probably went overboard in asking for so many places to put up blocking, but hey, who knows what I might want to put up on the walls later.  So yeah, **cough** blocking on all 4 walls of the master bedroom, all 3 walls of the family room, 3 of the 4 in the study (didn't ask for one on the wall with the window), 1 in the morning room, 1 in the living room, 1 in the dining room, one in each of the 3 extra bedrooms, and last but not least, 4 in the basement.  Don't judge the blocking insanity!

Blocking here, just in case you did not read the diatribe that I wrote above (family room)

Going to have to be some cabling magic here but will try to make it happen some day. (basement)

This is the padded room for my blocking insanity (basement under the morning room)

That insulation just looks like something went wrong, or is it just me?  Yes, I know its fine, but it looks like some animals fell into some kind of grinder and that is what came out, that or they have some owl farm to make hacked pellets into insulation.  (Too much imagination?  Sorry in advance).  I will have to say that I am impressed that they insulated this little part of the I beam though.
 
Hmm, an extra window here.  I am not sure where this would go in my Ravenna since I do not think we get something like this for our door, but hey I will take it!

I have to give creds to the person drinking this in 100+ weather.  When the name "Venom" is not enough... call it "Black Mamba" too!  If I saw some dude drinking this in 100+ degree weather I would back away slowly, but definitely not turn my back on them!

19 comments:

  1. Glad everything worked out for you plus the rest!!!!! I was wondering what happened to you! You always come up with some terrific ideas and I am so happy I can implement them. Is there an extra fee for the blocking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was no extra fee for the blocking. The PM was just awesome about this I must say!

      Delete
  2. It appears that I have caught up to you in the building process! We have our pre-drywall meetings on the same day! I think I'm going to ask for blocking to be added by the windows so that I can install curtains.

    We didn't lose power during the storm either but our air conditioner crapped out on us yesterday. Of course it was on the weekend so we get to sweat it out until I can get someone here. There's always something!

    Glad you're back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear about the air conditioning! That is no fun when your trying to sleep at night!

      Delete
  3. We were worried sick here! I was picturing a police report saying they found a broken microwave and a sandal in the basement. I was going to drop you an email by this morning if no blog update. I didn't ask for the blocks but I'll add that to the woulda coulda shoulda list. I'm thinking of making that list at the end of my build (if it ever ends).

    ReplyDelete
  4. call me clueless, what is blocking? and welcome back!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blocking is a piece of wood that you can use to mount things on easily rather than just using the wall studs. Wall studs will work fine for mounting things, just easier if you have some wood blocking.

      Delete
  5. Welcome back! I was starting to wonder too. Now adding blocking to the list of things we should ask about. Helpful as always!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I asked for blocking in the laundry room in case we want to hang cabinets up there later. Did I think to ask for it anywhere else? Nope!

    You did a LOT of blocking. Just how many people do you need to tie up in that place?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I would have thought of that!

      Delete
    2. Can never have enough people tie up points am I right ;-)

      Delete
  7. We were going to talk about this for TV placement at pre drywall. I wonder about other places too though now like to hang a heavy mirror or picture. Thanks something else to discuss!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you are alive and were able to block until your heart's content!

    ReplyDelete
  9. the blocking is a great idea. I was aware of the idea during our build, but don't ask me why I didn't do it. I would be forced to supply multiple excuses.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can almost guarantee that if we asked our PM to do that blocking, he'd assure me he would not be able to do it. He's very by the book like that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish that I had thought to block some of our walls. Darn!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would rather it be a Venom then a beer!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that's a lot of blocking! I'll have to consider that when we get to that stage. I just started blogging my own adventures after lurking on all your blogs for a couple weeks, please come by and share your wisdom! http://romeinginrichmond.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I would call it wisdom, but I will share my thoughts! :-)

      Delete