Sunday, July 29, 2012

Model Home Trip - When Things Don't Look The Same


Before I start talking about my issues with the house currently, I thought I would share a little humor courtesy of my wife.  When I first started looking in the dumpster she started to laugh and I thought that was because was looking in the trash which I thought was strange because that is not the first time I have been in there, but later I learned it was because of the how RUMPke trash company wording looked from her view in the garage (this was not staged by the way).

RUMP


I took a trip to the Ravenna model today.  I know for some it is a chance to spend a nice afternoon to think about interior design projects and such, but in my case it is more of comparing what was done on my home to what the model has.  Overall I have been happy with the house build but there a few things that I need to gripe on a little.

Issue one - The extra 45 degree soffit for the furnace down in the basement
I did notice this extra soffit earlier when they were framing for it, but I did not know how it would look and I was unsure if it was that way in the model.  It is not horrible but it is wearing on my mind a little here.  When I saw the model without the soffit it caused me even more concern because it limits what you can put up against that wall.  Sigh, so what the heck can they do about it now, I don't know, but it is making me feel unsatisfied!  I see this as a furnace guy error rather than a PM error but it is still not making it alright for me.

Here is a close up of the 45 degree soffit
Another view of our basement
Yeap, the model looks much better without the soffit.  Why can I not have this flat wall?

Here is the reason for the extra 45 degree soffit

Another angle

Other side

Issue Two - Clothes Washer Overflow Drain Pipe
My clothes washer overflow drain pipe takes a nice run under my stairs down in the basement.  It just does not look right and if you want to store stuff under there you can only really go up to that point.  I also fear that future Thomas will at some point inadvertently break or damage the pipe.  The trip to the model also confirmed that they routed the pipe differently/better than what was done for my home.
The pipe in my home coming down from the ceiling and starting to run under the stairs

Here is the other side in my house.  It currently terminates just shortly to the right if this picture but still needs some additional pipe to even reach the drain pipe
Here is the model's clothes washer overflow drain pipe.  See how it comes down on the right but then runs along the joist to go around the stairs rather than under them.
Here is the other side of the pipe in the model.  I had to laugh a little as this one.  Notice where the pipe ends at the bottom?  So this would not be exactly how I would like it but at least it is not running under the stairs and shows what I think a more acceptable routing would be.



This is not an issue.  Just another shot of all the bricks I moved :-)

17 comments:

  1. I can see why you wouldn't be too happy with that. Hope you can have some input on changing either of these if possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a very odd/long run for a pipe. Are they all like that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry. by "all" I mean the other homes in your subdivision... not the other pipes in your home. :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, I wonder what the did with the other homes. I will have to ask around.

      Delete
  4. First of all, I love the first picture. HILARIOUS! Secondly, I have the SAME soffit in my basement. It's not in the model either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, not sure why the model can be made to look flat but not our homes.

      Delete
  5. What are you going to do with the extra brick? We are thinking about a brick mailbox or flowerbeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about a fire pit with the extra bricks. That or use them as landscaping edges as you mentioned. I think that as soon as I would get the mailbox done I would likely back into it by mistake, just because it there and I spent a lot of time on it :-D

      Delete
  6. Had that same soffit in my old Ryan townhome right above the cable jack, so we were not able to put the television on that wall because of it. Annoying. And do you paint it the same color as the ceiling, or the same color as the wall (that's a chick issue -- nothing for you to worry about). LOVE the RUMP picture! And good job snagging that brick -- they took ours away as soon as they finished and we didn't get to keep any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thy told us we could keep whatever was left over of our brick. There were only like 12 of them! What am I supposed to do with that?!

      Delete
    2. They could be part of your home security system. Place them by your bed or in strategic places to throw at intruders or interlopers.

      Delete
  7. We do not have that angled soffit, but its strange that they used metal ductwork at that point which actually should be flexiduct so close to the blower as using that will decrease airflow noise. #2 the pipe change is an easy fix that the PM shouldnt have a problem adjusting, that will mean that ur water will be off for a few days though while the solvent dries on the new pipe joints. Coming together nicely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is just the overflow drain so it should be even more of an easy fix since there is no running water in it. It looks like they are going to fix it now though.

      Delete
  8. That 45-degree soffit would be great if you wanted to mount a TV onto it and lay on the floor. :P Seriously though, it does pose a decorating challenge. Any great ideas yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not good ideas so far. I did ask the PM to at least make it smooth like the wall and not rough like the sponged ceiling and he agreed to that.

      Delete
  9. I would be upset about these things too. The routing thing with the pipe is just silly. You know it doesn't take that much more effort to make it nice. If it were me, I'd email the PM and ask if you could come in and do it....then he might be like..."oh yeah...that is stupid...let me fix it". We all wish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have gotten a job with Ryan and then started to build my house with them. I could make some more mods then possibly :-)

      Delete