Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Soffit here to stay

In the previous post I discussed the angled soffit down in the basement.  I spoke with the PM and as I thought there is not really much they can do about it.  They are doing it on most of the homes now it seems and was confirmed by the other bloggers.  I would have thought they could have positioned the furnace a little further into the storage space so that they did not have to enclose that ductwork, meh but what do I know :-)

The good news is that they are going to route the clothes washer overflow pipe around the stairs like they did the model.  So at least that is a win.

Still going to have the dual metal pipes to nowhere on the walls for ventilation, per code.  I guess better safer than sorry :-\

Now for some picture updates....

That is a cool looking toilet with those sunglasses! (first floor restroom)

Hmm, that one pipe just does not quite make it.... (furnace and water heater drain pipes)

The toilet safety mechanism, blue painter's tape

I am curious where these are going to go since I did not get white cabinets as far as I know, so this is puzzling.  Maybe they are for another house?

They rolled out the carpet for the neighbor's.  I drifted my car over it a few times to get it all broken in.  I am a good neighbor.

Holes in the brick already!  I assume this is for some porch supports?


FYI, they will not install the laminate all the way under the dishwasher.  There is a few inches there but just interesting they would not just go ahead and put down the few extra boards, just sayen...

The left side of the door way does not look quite square....  I will definitely have to check out all the corners before closing to make sure everything is reasonably squared up right.  (kitchen closet)

One door leads to freedom the other lead to doom, pick wisely!



13 comments:

  1. Maybe they will accidentally install those cabinets in your laundry room! That would be awesome!

    Glad you got the pipe moved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately the cabinets were for someone else. Oh well :-)

      Delete
  2. I think your comment about "reasonalbly square" is funny. I've thought that same thing myself when I see something minor that is a tad off. I know it will bother me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh..there you are. I've been waiting for that fantastic humor to return. :) I really wish we could make a Ryan Blog Home community. ....a new concept in the housing market! Blog House Communities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will just have to keep the virtual community going! Who is bringing the dessert for the first get together!

      Delete
  4. Last time we talked to our PM he told us he was using our garage for storage -- it's full of stuff for our neighbors (not that we've snooped that out or anything).

    You're closing in on the end!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They move extra materials from house to house as they close. You should ask on the cabinets, they may find no need (out of the packaging) and give them to you.
    There is very little they can do with out of square walls. Consider pissing up a rope, you may have more success then getting them to rip out the drywall, tear down and replace studs, re-install drywall, fix flooring now screwed since wall repaired, etc.... I have a small section of "out of square" drywall at the threshold from kitchen to "mud room" area. Nothing to do but live with it. BUT, I could be wrong...it's happened twice in my life. This could be a third.
    As for the soffet, I checked my setup out last night. Had I finished the basement, I would not have needed the 45 as they installed the furnace and heater further back as you mentioned. Further proof that things are different house to house, region to region.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sgt Rich, LOL pissing up a rope!! Hysterical!!!

      Delete
    2. Indeed, the "pissing up a rope" is a true and lasting classic line from Sgt Rich. I am hoping that maybe I can get one or two of the more egregious errors in squaring corrected. The others I can be okay with.

      Delete
  6. That 45 degree soffit would drive me nuts

    ReplyDelete
  7. it only drives you nuts now because you are focused on it. Move in, move crap in, live. Pretty soon, you will barely notice OR not notice at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a problem overlooking triangles that waste space for some reason. I will get over it...not like I have much of a choice either way!

      Delete